Sheer Khurma Ramadan festival dessert recipe
Sheer Khurma is a dessert recipe that is specially made for Ramadan Festival / Ramzan by the Muslims in India. It is spelt as sheer kurma/ sheer korma or sheer qorma but it is actually Sheer Khurma. This special dish is made using full cream milk, fine vermicelli, sugar or condensed milk, nuts, dry fruits and ghee. Some people make this dish with coconut milk too. It is served in the morning of Eid ul-Fitr day( Ramadan festival) in the family for breakfast after the Eid prayer. It is served throughout the day to all the visiting guests.
Category: Sweet/Dessert recipes
Serves: Serves 3
Prep time: 10 Minutes Cook time: 10 Minutes Total time: 20 Minutes
1 cup – 250ml
Fine vermicelli – A fistful ( say 1.5 tbsp)
Full fat milk – 1/2 litre
Sugar -1/4 cup ( Add 1/3 cup for more sweetness)
Dry fruits & Nuts – l tbsp each ( Cashews, Pista, Almond, Chironji / charoli seeds, Dry grapes)
Dried dates – 2 nos (Soak in rose water, overnight)
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp or rose essence – few drops
Ghee – 2-3 tbsp
Saffron – few threads
Hot Water – 1/2 cup ( to soak the nuts and dry fruits)
- Boil 1/2 litre of full fat milk till it reduces to 1/3rd of its quantity.
- Soak dried dates in rose water overnight. Chop into small pieces and set aside. In the mean time, boil 1/2 cup of water to roll boil. Switch off the flame and soak the badam in hot water for 15 minutes. Peel the skin of badam and chop it. Chop the remaining nuts like cashews, chironji, pista too. Alternatively you can soak the dates in hot water overnight instead of adding in rose water.
- Melt 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Roast the fine vermicelli for 2-3 minutes. Remove in a plate. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee and roast the sliced nuts and dry fruits till it turns golden. Remove in a plate.
- Now add the roasted vermicelli to the boiling milk. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes till it becomes soft. Add sugar, saffron threads & allow the milk to boil till sugar dissolves. Make sure the milk is not so thick as this khurma thickens with time. So prepare the sheer khurma slightly thin and watery.
- Switch off the flame and add cardamom powder or rose essence, roasted nuts & dry fruits. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of melted ghee at the end. Mix well and serve it cold or warm. Enjoy ! Wish you all a very happy Ramadan!!