Nethili Meen Thokku/Anchovies Recipe:
This is such a wonderful recipe with a thick tangy masala coated all over the fish. You can make this in bulk and keep it in fridge and enjoy for a whole week. The orginal recipe says that we can store this in room temparature for 3 to 4 days. But i was scared to keep it out, so i pop this in fridge and use it accordingly.
- Anchovies / Nethili Meen – 300 grams
- Oil – 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / Vendayam – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 2 sliced thinly
- Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 1 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind Pulp – 4 tblspn or to taste
- Curry Leaves – a small handful.
Shallots / Sambar Onion – 20 peeled
Tomatoes – 2 large chopped
Garlic – 10 cloves
Whole Pepper – 1 tsp
Green Chilli – 2
- Take all the ingredients in a blender and make it into a fine paste. Set aside till use.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add in 1/4 cup of oil and add in fenugreek seeds and sliced garlic. Let it sizzle for a min.
- Add in the pureed masala and mix well. Cook it for couple of mins.
- Add in salt and all spice powders, mix them well.
- Cover and cook till oil separates.
- Now add in the tamarind pulp and mix well. Cook till the mix is thick and looks like a masala.
- Add in anchovies fish and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 mins till the fish is tender and cooked.
- Now drizzle in the remaining oil all around the sides of the pan and swirl the pan to coat the oil on all sides. Cook this for 5 to 8 mins
- Throw in a handful of curry leaves and swirl the pan. Keep the flame on low and cook it for few mins. Don’t stir the masala at this point, if you stir it, the fish will break. So always swirl the pan.
10.Cook all this till oil separates and the mix is thick.
- Serve with rice.