This one is a authentic chicken kulambu recipe. They call for local ingredients and fresh ground spices which take this chicken curry to a whole new level. This recipe takes some time to make but it is worth every minute. The end result was so good. Each ingredient which I used in this recipes makes this curry taste so exotic. Specially the shallots, tamarind, gingelly oil and fresh roasted spices.
Nattu Kozhi Rasam
- Country Chicken / Nattu Kozhi – 1 kg
- Indian Sesame Oil / Nala Ennai / Gingelly oil – 1/2 cup
- Shallots / Sambar Onion – 15 chopped
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tblspn Click here for recipe
- Tomatoes – 2 large chopped
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder – 1 tblspn or to taste
- Coriander powder / Malli podi – 2 tblspn
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi – 1 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp – 3 tblspn
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro a handful
- Whole Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tblspn
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf – 1 tblspn
- Cloves / Krambu – 6
- Cinnamon / Pattai -1 small stick
- Shallots / Sambar Onion – 10 left whole
- Oil – 1 tblspn
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Poppy Seeds / Kus Kus / Kasa Kasa – 2 tblspn
- Heat 1 tblspn oil in a kadai. Add in
in the ingredients give for roasting and grinding list and saute
for 5 mins on low flame. 2. Now remove this to a blender and make into a fine puree. Set this aside till use.
- Take coconut and poppy seeds in a blender and make into a fine puree.Set this aside till use.
- Take a large kadai. Heat oil in it.
- Add in chopped shallots, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and saute for a couple of mins.
- Now add in tomatoes and saute for 5 mind till they turn mushy.
- Add in salt, add the spice powders and saute for a min.
- Add the chicken in and mix well with the masala.
- Add in water, tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil Cover the pan and simmer it for 15-20 mins till the chicken is 3/ 4th done.
- Now add in the onion masala, coconut masala and mix well.
- Cover the pan again and simmer for 30 mins.
Add in lots of coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with rice.